Thursday, April 10, 2014


"Bluebonnets are to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland"

I love this time of year, Spring is in the air and the Bluebonnets are in full bloom.  Since I cannot find the time this year to go to the hill country and take pictures of the Bluebonnets.  I decided I would play with a few of my new die cuts and make a card. 

 I wanted to play with my new Die Cuts, Wink of Stella brush, Bazzill paper and Authentique Paper.  When I see bluebonnets I always think of the country and what better thing says country than a picket fence.  I was inspired by a Facebook post from Karen Burniston, Designer, Karen showed how Karen Aicken used the post from her Lots of Pops Pop-Up die to make the fence.  So I thought I would try it out.

Karen Burniston's Lots of Pops Pop-up Die Cut, Garden Bench Pop-Up Die Cut, All-Seasons Tree Die Cut, Katie Label Pivot Card Die Cut
Deadbeat Designs's Bluebonnet Die Cut
Tim Holtz's mini bunny die cut
Distress Ink - Shabby Shutters, Distress Ink - Vintage Photo
White Pigment Ink pen
Wink of Stella Brush - White
Zig 2 Way Glue Chisel Tip
Scrappy Glue
Authentique Foundation One paper - cut to 6" x 12"
Authentique Elegant Three paper - cut to 6" x 12"
Bazzill - french vanilla, white, blue bell, blue jean, hillary, sugar daddy

To make the inside of the card I used Foundation One paper from Authentique.  For the fence to pop I used the pop-up die twice.  Aligning the center of the pop-up die over the fold about a 1/4 inch from the left and then again the left side of the die cut is lined up on top of the far left side of the first die cut. Please see below for placement.

You will need to fold it a little different than normal. The ends and middle are folded in ward the two little ones on the top and bottom are folded in ward.  The big sections are folded out ward.  This will create a shelf or in this case two shelves side by side.

I then cut out 9 posts from the Lots of Pops Pop-Up  Die. Then I ink it using Vintage Photo distress ink.  Cut two strips 1/4" x 4 1/4" these are used to hold spaced out posts making the fence. The Bluebonnets and bunny were attached to the fence prior to the fence attached to the pop-up.

Bluebonnets: cut two large out of Bazzill Blue Jean and three out of Bazzill Blue Bell, Bluebonnet leaves cut out of Bazzill Hillary. White ink pen and Winks was used on Bluebonnets for accent. Attached Bluebonnets using scrappy glue and  pop dots on some of the Bluebonnets to/ give some dimension.
Grass: cut out of Bazzill Hillary using the grass die cut Garden Bench Pop-Up die set, used versa marker on some of the leaves to make them darker.
Bunny: cut out of Bazzill Bling Sugar Daddy (this paper makes the bunny look like a choc bunny)  Purple is my favorite color so I had to add a purple bow. :)  Now set the completed fence aside.

Clouds: cut two large and two small out of Bazzill White using the clouds from the All-Seasons Tree Die Cut

Before adhering the Pop-up part of the card to the outside of card.  Cut around 1/4" on the sides and top of the top portion of  pop-up card.  with this being done now the blue lace from the outside of the card will show.  The bottom of the pop-up card was inked with Shabby Shutters Distress ink with a little Vintage Photo added close to the pop-up to give the grass and dirt look.

Ribbon was added to the front of the card.  When attaching the inside to the outside the ribbon was tucked in between the top section of the inside to the outside card.

Once you have the inside and the outside attached then the fence is added.  The clouds were attached using pop dots. To attach fence to pop-up base on card. Adhesive was only added to the bottom part of the posts. using a tape runner.

Used a little play on words for the salutation.  "Everybunny looks good in Bluebonnets"  printed it and then used the large decorator label out of the Katie Label Pivot Card die cut.

Now that we have the inside done lets move to the outside of the card.  Cut one small Bluebonnet out of Bazzill Blue Jean and two small Bluebonnets out of Bazzill Blue Bell.  Leaves out of Bazzill Hillary. Use your favorite adhesive to adhere to the front of the card.  I used Scrappy Glue.

I hope you enjoy making this card as much as I did.
Supplies I used for this project were all purchased at Scrapp'n Savvy in Spring Texas.


No comments: